Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Square Wave Oscillator


This is a square wave oscillator (digital, like 8-bit music). It's based around the LM386 amplifier I.C., which is what the mini guitar amplifier was based on. It has a simple power switch connected to the battery, a potentiometer for adjusting the tone, and a normally closed momentary switch. The momentary switch is connected to the signal output. It's normally closed so when you press it, the signal is cut off but when you release it, the signal passes through again to your amplifier. This can create some cool sounds.

I have the schematic embedded below. Feel free to download it here. There is detailed instructable I wrote here on how exactly to build the circuit.

LM386 Oscillator Schem1

This is a diagram showing the components wired to the I.C. The red x's indicate places where the wires don't connect and the black dots indicate connections. Feel free to download the image here.

LM386 Oscillator Schem2

This second video contains another square wave oscillator but with keys to jump to different tones and a potentiometer to adjust the overall tone. The keys are actually normally closed momentary switches. A resistor is connected to each switch so when it is pressed, it generates a tone. It's hard to explain here so I'll try to explain it later or in a video.

Creative Commons License
Square Wave with Keys by Justin Bread is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.


Both images embedded on this post are Attribution-NonCommercial Creative Commons licensed.

1 comment:

E-Switches said...

It's videos and drawings like these that make me glad that I don't do business with Iran.